I'm Sharing My Advantage In The Chase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Sharing My Advantage In The Chase

I'm going to make my contribution to the Search Community by sharing the advantage I have in the Chase with you:

In my younger years, I was blessed to have had a six pack of beagles. Two were gifts I did not ask for, two we rescued later, and two we kept from a litter of pups we had.

Each had its own distinct personality and voice and no two were anything alike. They were our short-legged children and every bit members of our family as our two boys.

Those beagles lived to do two things, please us and chase rabbits, not necessarily in that order.

I got them out in the field and wood as often as I could to let them run rabbits. I never took any of those rabbits. We were not hunting, just running them for fun because that was the thing that brought my beagles the most joy in their short lives. It gave me immense joy to see them have so much fun.

One of the greatest injustices in this life is how short the lives of good dogs are. If I am ever given the opportunity to speak with God, I shall lodge this complaint with many tears of heartbreak for all of the good dogs I have been blessed to know. All deserved to outlive me, but were denied that right for reasons I cannot understand.

If you have never experienced the thrill of running a pack of excited tail wagging hounds, please take three minutes to watch this video to see what you are missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIPK-Rtois

The video starts with sounds of the beagles baying as they run a rabbit in the distance. Listen to the thrill and excitement in their voices as they cry out!

You can tell the trail is hot and the rabbit is close because of the intensity of their baying. That baying is like a barometer, it is directly proportional to the strength of the scent the rabbit has left along the trail.

At 1:28 we see the rabbit emerge from the brush, cross the low grass and dirt road and hop along out of sight flashing his cotton white tail.

At 1:56 we see the lead dog burst out of the brush with the pack in tow. But why does he almost immediately makes a u-turn and double back into the brush?

Because he has lost the strong hot scent trail. The rabbit's scent trail went cold when there was no more brush and tall grass for him to rub against to leave it on. The beagles double back to see if the rabbit made a 90 degree turn along the way and if they overshot that turn.

If so, they will make the necessary course correction and their chase will resume.

If not, they will begin to circle the area trying to pick the now cold trail back up as we see was what eventually happened in this case.

I believe the speculation that was explained to me that when the rabbit does not brush against something solid, he still leaves a scent trail in the air. And it takes several seconds to a few minutes for the scent in the air to settle to the ground where the hounds can smell it again. I have seen this phenomenon many times myself.

At 2:23 a different beagle from the first lead dog finally picks up the rabbit's scent and becomes the new lead dog as we are off to the races again.

I know it is a different dog that took the lead because my beagles were also tricolor blanket backs like these two brown heads. No two beagles are marked exactly the same. The most obvious way to tell these are different lead dogs is the first one has less white and more tan on his right front leg than the second. I point out these easily overlooked details to show my deep love, understanding, and appriciation of beagles and their nature.

Beagles are like five-year-old children that never grow up. And nothing can bring a parent more joy than seeing their young child be thrilled with joy. It's why we have things like Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny for them.

I feel sad knowing that most beagles live their lives as house pets, never once having the chance to experience the ultimate joy and thrill of chasing a rabbit. I wish I could give every beagle at least one day in the field or wood to experience that.

My advantage in Forrest Fenn's Thrill of the Chase is that I believe these are the reasons he hid the chest for us to seek.

I know my place in the Chase is to be like a young person again, thrilled with the excitement and challenge of adventure, wagging my tail and baying like a fool as I set off on a joyous journey, excited by the thrill of the chase. Thank you, Forrest Fenn.

The moral of this story is:

If you are not having fun with the Chase you are missing the point and probably doing it wrong.

It's not about the rabbit.

Sensei Mike, Who is the lead Beagle on the Forum?

Comment

10-4 Great write-up Mike. Love a good rabbit dog, and I'm still having fun too.
      John, I believe the lead dogs name may be Johillco...
      Last edited by Castellaw1685; 01-10-2019, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Castellaw1685 View Post
        10-4 Great write-up Mike. Love a good rabbit dog, and I'm still having fun too.
        John, I believe the lead dogs name may be Johillco...
        10-4

Comment

My advantage in the chase: stick to my guns, ignore almost everything Fenn has said after TFTW and ignore the bullies, drama seekers and nabobs.
          Last edited by OreDigger; 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OreDigger View Post
            My advantage in the chase: stick to my guns, ignore almost everything Fenn has said after TFTW and ignore the bullies, drama seekers and nabobs.
            Ignorance aside, what is nabobs? Do they need the treasure? When I see that words it makes me want to say the Emperor has no clothes.... no really nabobs the emperor has no clothes. He said he had clothes........

Nabobs are Meek
            Last edited by John Smith; 01-10-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

The "nattering nabobs of negativism" was a phrase used by vice president Spiro Agnew when referring to the media during the Watergate fiasco. Kind of rings of recent times huh? Your emperor analogy works.
              Last edited by OreDigger; 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

The "nattering nabobs of negativism: was a phrase used by vice president Spiro Agnew when referring to the media during the Watergate fiasco. Kind of rings of recent yines huh? Your emperor analogy works.
                Everybody hates me I am going to eat worms. Big fat juicy ones and little slimy skinny ones, woe is me. No treasure for the Nabobs. They are on the wrong frequency Kenneth.

Comment

The chase has been more fun than sliding down a rail to get outta Spanish class. It's an absolute blast. The BOTG trips are unforgettable. I've even taken friends and family, so I think I've met Forrest's intentions. I can't thank him enough. It's too bad it has to end, or maybe it doesn't, we'll see. If I were to find it this summer, I might just leave most of it there. Or leave a new poem there and move it.

Comment

The "nattering nabobs of negativism" was a phrase used by vice president Spiro Agnew when referring to the media during the Watergate fiasco. Kind of rings of recent times huh? Your emperor analogy works.
                    Wasn't quite old enough to "get it" with Nixon and crew, but deja vu is certainly in order

Comment

OreDigger is Watergate a hint to warm water halts? Also you are really showing your age.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman View Post
                        OreDigger is Watergate a hint to warm water halts? Also you are really showing your age.
                        Really? We all know it's not a dam. (Isn't that what a water gate is?). Other than being a history buff, the only thing I can personally remember about Watergate was the "Watergate meetings" as we called them, on TV all the time. Back then we had 4 channels: ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. (Lived in a college town, so we had public TV). The Watergate meetings were on all three networks, and at that time of day your choices of PBS fare was usually Lawrence Welk. This is part of the reason why I have never owned a TV in my entire life!

Comment

Watergate does not bother me,
                          Does your conscience bother you?

-Lynyrd Skynyrd

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerMike View Post
                            Watergate does not bother me,
                            Does your conscience bother you?

-Lynyrd Skynyrd
                            Let's not get into my conscience.

Comment

Originally posted by John Smith View Post
                              Sensei Mike, Who is the lead Beagle on the Forum?
                              I can't call it.

One seems to take the lead then their trail appears to go cold. Then another seems to take the lead, and so on.

That's one seriously Wascally Wabbit we are chasing!

Comment

Working...
                              X