No announcement yet.

What makes a chase veteran?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those saying multiple failed BOTG makes one a chase veteran, I thank you. I had two failed BOTG under my belt within the first month of finding out about the chase. So I really was only technically a newbie for a few weeks. That was a pretty quick initiation. Still here after a long and grueling 5 months of this chase and still no treasure! Ha! Yes that last bit was sarcasm for those who can't tell. Oh, and I'm making fun of you!
    "It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
    And I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that
    I'm not here" -Syd Barrett

Comment

What makes a Chase veteran?

To quote Indiana Jones:

"It's not the years. It's the mileage."
      “I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

Comment

It's not the mileage it's how fast you go before you burn out.j

Comment

This is similar to determining who is a professional treasure hunter. My terminology relies on this basic premise. In order to be a professional or veteran, one must have demonstrated some success and actually found treasure. Otherwise, if you have nothing to show, aren't you really just a failed treasure hunter? I would consider Caveman and veteran treasure hunter, he has actually found gold.

Comment

I don’t think it is time, I think it is the crash of the failed BOTG. There is no feeling like it and no way to fully explain it.

I think there is another set of categories. Those searchers who have been around forever that know most / all quotes and know the backstory of events. Not sure what their name is - long-timer? Who knows, but not exactly the same as a vet.

Long timers bring wisedom and context in many cases.
            I have the soul of a gypsy, heart of a hippie, and the spirit of a fairy.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Among Lions View Post
              This is similar to determining who is a professional treasure hunter. My terminology relies on this basic premise. In order to be a professional or veteran, one must have demonstrated some success and actually found treasure. Otherwise, if you have nothing to show, aren't you really just a failed treasure hunter? I would consider Caveman and veteran treasure hunter, he has actually found gold.
              Does this apply in this hunt or all hunts. For example, Cowlazars has been BOTG in many hunts of many years, created successfully his own hunts. But for the Fenn hunt, he has all the books, over 100 vblogs in analysis, and knowledgeable about the Fenn hunt, yet no BOTG in the Fenn hunt - vet? not? Not sure,but a funny outlier. ......

Comment

You're only a vet if you went chasing and then returned home, or did not return home. May peace be with their lost souls.
                Last edited by Imknowbuddynow; 01-09-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Don't tell anybody, but I found something just the other day. Was walking a creek bed, bow hunting.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_093331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	74107
                  noticed many triangle shaped rocks

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_110533.jpg Views:	1 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	74108
                  then a long stretch with purple sand

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190105_102245.jpg Views:	1 Size:	331.1 KB ID:	74109
                  Amethyst, some as wide as 1/4" and many as inclusions within other rocks... too bad Brazil spoiled the market for it years ago. Did find one arrowhead.
                  I don't mind telling you where it is. If you don't mind a dull bullet..

...a chase veteran? When you're home two weeks later, you still smell sage on your backpack, and you find pine needles in your pockets. You miss the scabs and you're ready to go back for more.
                  Last edited by Castellaw1685; 01-11-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

The downing of an entire humble pie.
                    "It is fun to arrange words in such a way that you have to smile at the end of a sentence." - Forrest Fenn

Comment

Wish I could claim to be a veteran but, no I cant. Definitely that is a title for BOTG, imo. Longtimer... maybe not quite that as well but I dont feel like a newb either. My start in this chase began in July 2016 with unfortunate news of Randy Bilyeu fate. And so now this treasure hunt is 5-6 yrs in and im wondering how I didnt know about it sooner as I'm curious about alot things. And like most I'm sure, once you get that poem in your head it's like a song with a catchy tune...it sticks! So I guess I'm in between newb and longtimer?Been in my share of rabbit holes. And many good ideas of my own so please dont assume I'm trolling others comments for answers. I dont share much but try. Too fearful of giving away a "what if I'm correct". And there it is, a short memoir of my time in Forrest Fenn's Treasure Hunt.

Comment

When the poem brought you there but stay on your own accord. When the rules don't apply to you because you are out there walking the lines creating the trails for those who follow.
                        "Everything Louder Than Everything Else"

Comment

Originally posted by Imknowbuddynow View Post
                          You're only a vet if you went chasing and then returned home, or did not return home. May peace be with their lost souls.
                          Copy cat
                          I am a veteran because I have put in 3 long weeks in this thing and have an uncanny opinion kinda like a pinion nut.

Comment

Smart enough to know that it is a one percent chance that someone is your actual friends, this chase is big stakes and for keeps. I am a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by kpro View Post
                              Smart enough to know that it is a one percent chance that someone is your actual friends, this chase is big stakes and for keeps. I am a newbie.
                              Big stakes? Maybe some extra chump change. But 300,000 in gold and jewels is hardly big stakes. I have spent close to that on one drunken spree.

Comment

Failure.... BTW that's not a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X