What makes a chase veteran?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a chase veteran?

So for those who are chase veterans, when did you realize you were a chase veteran, and what made you one?

FYI, I don't consider myself a chase veteran yet but I do get confused when I get an e-mail from Chase (the credit card company) and it isn't about the chase.

Update: I made sure to add "chase" in front of veteran as veteran alone definitely fits 1Trailblazer's post. To further clarify, chase, is someone who is looking for, or hunting, Forrest Fenn's treasure from The Thrill of the Chase. Thus the discussion I want is more of what makes someone not a newbie in the Thrill of the Chase. To all military veterans, thank you for your service!
    Last edited by Homer; 01-08-2019, 04:52 PM. Reason: Emphasis on chase veterans as veterans alone does imply military veterans
    "To run where the brave dare not go" -- Darion and Leigh

Military Veterans are the only ones I recognize.
    Search veterans, no such thing.
    We’re all grouped the same..... Crazy

The only definition in my opinion.

Comment

Hmmmm

Chase veterans know the taste of humble pie? I've baked some a couple of times! I think when you stick around for more than a couple of searches, or a couple of years, that likely qualifies you as a veteran? I dunno...

Comment

Can someone with no BOTG be considered a veteran?

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
          Hmmmm

Chase veterans know the taste of humble pie? I've baked some a couple of times! I think when you stick around for more than a couple of searches, or a couple of years, that likely qualifies you as a veteran? I dunno...
          This - the taste of defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRah View Post
            Hmmmm

Tons of humble pie here.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Trailblazer View Post
              Military Veterans are the only ones I recognize.
              Search veterans, no such thing.
              We’re all grouped the same..... Crazy

The only definition in my opinion.
              I would like to thank all of the military personal past and present for there service and for preserving the real treasure, America and everything it stands for!!

Comment

Only after eight weeks of BOOT camp.

Comment

I went through boot camp for 20 years, Dad was a DI at Pendleton. Semper Fi.

Comment

Chase: pursue, run after, follow, seek to attain, seek the company, drive or cause to go to a specific direction, make further investigation of an unresolved matter, etc.

Etymology: take, hunt, take hold, groove cut into any object, bore of a gun barrel, etc.

New Definition: humble pie, eat crow, failure, no luck, back-to-the drawing board, new solve, cussing, mad, upset, rabbit holes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post
                      So for those who are chase veterans, when did you realize you were a chase veteran, and what made you one?
                      After 14 BOTG in 3 years I consider myself a "chase veteran". When I first started I'd realize what I thought was a correct solve and scramble to put a search together. The drive home was always miserable. Well, half the drive home, because half the way home it'd suddenly occur to me what I'd missed. A couple of times I've thought, "Ok that's it! No more!", but a few weeks rest and I'd see my thinking cap there by my computer. Just within the last year I've finally started learning to just enjoy the "Thrill of the Chase". It may very well be over one of these days in the not too distant future. We should enjoy it while we can!
                      "Don't breathe under the water"

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Kowalski View Post

After 14 BOTG in 3 years I consider myself a "chase veteran". When I first started I'd realize what I thought was a correct solve and scramble to put a search together. The drive home was always miserable. Well, half the drive home, because half the way home it'd suddenly occur to me what I'd missed. A couple of times I've thought, "Ok that's it! No more!", but a few weeks rest and I'd see my thinking cap there by my computer. Just within the last year I've finally started learning to just enjoy the "Thrill of the Chase". It may very well be over one of these days in the not too distant future. We should enjoy it while we can!
                        Excellent post. I agree with this wholeheartedly. "They never knew that it was the chase they sought and not the quarry."

Comment

Multiple failed BOTG makes you a veteran IMO. When you can do the walk of shame back on the blogs after a failed search, then you can hold the title

Comment

Originally posted by Will197532 View Post
                            Multiple failed BOTG makes you a veteran IMO. When you can do the walk of shame back on the blogs after a failed search, then you can hold the title
                            Reluctance in announcing to the chase community that I'd "figured it all out and in a couple days I'll have the treasure" has saved me from the public crow consumption. That way I only had to face my wife!
                            Last edited by Leon Kowalski; 01-09-2019, 12:24 AM.
                            "Don't breathe under the water"

Comment

I’ve been chasing for less than a year so I by no means am a veteran searcher. I consider veterans the ones with the best advice, the most patience explaining the same concepts over and over to the waves of those newly introduced, the ones who have explored the same idea in 10 different posts that on the surface have nothing to do with one another- but for anyone following the trains of thought, it makes perfect evolutionary sense. Veterans seem to have all met, maybe at Fennborees, and continue conversations across forum venues without blinking at changes in usernames. They know who would be the best vet searcher to direct questions regarding a specific area. Most vets have solve aspects that have never seen the light online, and don’t bother pretending they don’t.
                              Hands down the best information on terrain and safety and onground tips you can only get by actually being there in person. A lot of aspects for physical locations are hard to research from a distance online. I find myself having IRL conversations with non-searchers who grew up in CO or UT or wherever and are familiar with some area I’m interested in. I know after living in a location for awhile I can definitely share my hidden gems that a tourist might not find.
                              I think this Chase keeps us looking for clues where there are none, but in a good way; I’d rather be open and alert at all times, catching things I may not have otherwise, even if they aren’t related to this “hobby”.
                              (and veterans know why that word is in quotes, lol)
                              Questing (?) song:
                              https://soundcloud.com/adamjensenmusic/the-hunter-1

Comment

Working...
                              X