Greek anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek anyone?

All of this down time has been good for something - I google-translated the poem into a few languages to see if a word sparked some new thought...so here's what I've got so far:
    French - the wood = Du Bois - could be name of place? Also blaze is flamme - did Forrest have an old Flame?
    Spanish - wood = madera, name of place in NM
    Latin - treasure = thesauris (a thesaurus was most likely a useful tool for Forrest when writing poem), heavy = grave
    Greek - wood - xylo, cold = cryo, gold = chryso...what words contain these roots?
    Greek back to English got interesting... words like tower, code, countess, opium, apples, and for "so hear me all and listen good" in Greek translated back to English became - How do you make a loop?
    Foreign languages are not necessarily specialized knowledge since many English words are derived from them.
    One key word is all it may take...

Nice.. Fenn ruled out latin but I never found any other language ruled out new or old. I have even found a coupe of oddities in the Gaul language. He mentions Persia, French and Spanish in the TTOTC..

Comment

Originally posted by Goldilocks View Post
      All of this down time has been good for something - I google-translated the poem into a few languages to see if a word sparked some new thought...so here's what I've got so far:
      French - the wood = Du Bois - could be name of place? Also blaze is flamme - did Forrest have an old Flame?
      Latin - treasure = thesauris (a thesaurus was most likely a useful tool for Forrest when writing poem), heavy = grave
      Greek - wood - xylo, cold = cryo, gold = chryso...what words contain these roots?
      Greek back to English got interesting... words like tower, code, countess, opium, apples, and for "so hear me all and listen good" in Greek translated back to English became - How do you make a loop?
      Foreign languages are not necessarily specialized knowledge since many English words are derived from them.
      Maybe the solution (for you) of the poem can be found in still another language. There may be hundreds of them that you haven't yet tried. Have fun.

Comment

Re: "what words contain these roots?" One comes to mind right away: chrysanthemum. For a second I thought that might have been in SB 36, but that was a rhododendron (root rhodo = rose + dendron = tree).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pilot View Post

Maybe the solution (for you) of the poem can be found in still another language. There may be hundreds of them that you haven't yet tried. Have fun.
          Maybe so. poem=words=path to treasure. Surely you think words are important Old Pilot, or am I assuming too much.

Comment

Notice how many single syllable, non compound, simple words there are in the poem.
            Last edited by Goldilocks; 11-13-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Notice how many single syllable, non compound, simple words there are in the poem. 146 to be exact...that's a lot of single syllable words.
              "I was limited in my ability." f

Comment

Lost in translation, like the Bible it makes no sense.
                We can’t figure it out in plain English.
                Like the Bible, maybe in 100 years there will be a New Testament or new poem, just to make things work with the times.

Comment

Smoke and mirrors for morality.
                  Some need a book to be good, some are just plain good no matter what the book says. I like being the lead dog not trailing a sheep herder.
                  Think for yourself and think good happy thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapster View Post

"I was limited in my ability." f
                    But not his imagination

Comment

A gross was also the number of Wooly Worm flies he could tie in a day at the fly-fishing shop.

Comment

Hi Goldilocks: I came up with 143. Breakdown by stanza: 21, 23, 22, 26, 27, and 24. Maybe you're counting there'll as 2 syllables? Or tired as 2?

Comment

yes i did count tired as 2...maybe Forrest did as well ha ha!

Comment

Forrest probably pronounces it like "tarred" / tard. ;-) I kind of wish it was 144 -- works great with my solution. Hah!

Comment

Working...
                            X