Coded Words of Forrest for Searchers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M.c.B. View Post
    I live in Brazil, I do not have the book and I depend on google translator. How are these pieces distributed? Can you post a photo of where one of these puzzle pieces is?
    Yeah, I think this is the first I've heard about any puzzle? Could end up drawing me in if it's not some ill-defined arbitrary thing with dubious payoff.
    When you find yourself at the end of the rainbow, you'll have found what you seek.

Comment

Has anyone tried putting this to graph paper? With 80 integers you'd have a 9x9 grid with one tile leftover. Like the indian blanket.

I'm no good at math but I always enjoy having statistics handy.

Which will have better odds? Rolling THrough 13 or 20 dice, 9 or12 times? FF might not approve of our "texting machines" but the calc app sure comes in handy.

Comment

Originally posted by garnets View Post
        Has anyone tried putting this to graph paper? With 80 integers you'd have a 9x9 grid with one tile leftover. Like the indian blanket.

I'm no good at math but I always enjoy having statistics handy.

Which will have better odds? Rolling THrough 13 or 20 dice, 9 or12 times? FF might not approve of our "texting machines" but the calc app sure comes in handy.
        If you're summing the values, then using more dice trends towards the middle/average. For example, rolling any number on a d6 is 17%. But probability for rolling two dice and taking the sum looks like this:

2: 2.78%
        3: 5.56%
        4: 8.33%
        5: 11.11%
        6: 13.89%
        7: 16.67%
        8: 13.89%
        9: 11.11%
        10: 8.33%
        11: 5.56%
        12: 2.78%

You're almost 7x more likely to roll a sum of 7 than 2 or 12.
        When you find yourself at the end of the rainbow, you'll have found what you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post
          I have not found a connection with a dice. I did figure out that there are exactly 80 integers on the puzzle pieces. The puzzle pieces all have pictures of the treasure chest.
          Yep, Sacha, those were the main clues for me: 80 codes, 80 pairs of integers on the 16 puzzle pieces, and she even has the word "puzzle" in the instructions. Pretty straightforward.

Comment

Could the fact that FF gave this hint out to be deciphered have anything to do with his "gut feeling" from the spring?

Comment

On FB, Jenny said a few people have solved it and chosen not to share the message. I wonder if its more interesting than originally thought. If I solve it, I'll share it.

Comment

Nothing yet?

Comment

Still trying. I failed the decryption twice, so far.. I have a 3rd attempt planned, but it is time consuming. I have been trying to find time to work on it today. I hope to have something by the end of the weekend.

Comment

Any luck?

Comment

Still no, but still working on it. I'm not giving up yet, and now Jason is also trying to help.

Comment

Hint: There are several steps involved in solving this. Start with the puzzle pieces that are scattered through the book.

There is also a discussion on solving this on Jenny's Mysterious Writings forum that might help get you started on solving this.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GeneticBlend View Post
                          Hint: There are several steps involved in solving this. Start with the puzzle pieces that are scattered through the book.

There is also a discussion on solving this on Jenny's Mysterious Writings forum that might help get you started on solving this.

Good luck!
                          I know about the puzzle pieces. There are 16 of them. I know its a book code. But, apparently the pieces are scrambled, and you have to know which pages to use as the cipher. There are 9 pages you have to find, and I have tried many different ways so far.

I have also been on her boards. I think I discovered something today, which I will look at over the weekend.

I have been actively working on this for about 3 weeks now. It definitely a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneticBlend View Post

Good luck!
                            So glad you mentioned the discussion over there. The "Forgotten Word" discussion seems kind of dead. I didn't even realize she had this one under TTOTC topics.

I was stuck. Now I am not.

Comment

Hi Harry: glad to see that folks here are showing some interest in tackling Jenny's Special Words from Forrest puzzle. It is not trivial; it's multi-stage. There are clues as you solve it to let you know you are on the right track. Jenny has done a VERY careful job designing this puzzle/cryptogram. GeneticBlend is the only one I know by name who has solved it, though at least a few folks have done so. (Full disclosure: I am not yet one of them; I've solved the first stage, and I'm confident I know something solid about the second stage. But I still have a ways to go.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post

I know about the puzzle pieces. There are 16 of them. I know its a book code. But, apparently the pieces are scrambled, and you have to know which pages to use as the cipher. There are 9 pages you have to find, and I have tried many different ways so far.

I have also been on her boards. I think I discovered something today, which I will look at over the weekend.

I have been actively working on this for about 3 weeks now. It definitely a challenge.
                                Hi Sacha: a couple hints on the book code. Look at the frequency distribution of the digits that follow the dashes and consider typical word lengths. Clue #2: only two book pages are needed to decode the numbers on the puzzle pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X