Clear All

• Safety hints ~ add yours

Must haves for a trip for the hunt:

Cell Phone
    GPS
    Flashlight
    Extra gallon of water
    Extra food sealed (if in bear country)
    Let one person you know exactly where you are going.
    Have a time you will notify them your are safe and they will notify authorities if they don’t hear from you
    For me - bear spray and bear bell
    Walking stick - protection, assistance, and to poke around
    Hat - amazing how the sun can take it out of you.
    Long pants no matter how hot it is.
    Backpack (big enough to hold the chest)

Others? Let’s get a list started and if it ends up being a good one, stick it up at the top.

I always carry a whistle, like a coach does. May sound silly but it can get people’s attention or scare animals away.

Also a dry sac for my phone and electronics. Not that I plan to be in water, but just in case.

Also a compass and a details hard copy map of the area I am in in case I get turned around.

Comment

ALWAYS have a lighter or some other means to start a fire.
      I consider this THE most important thing I carry.
      If a person will Think, they can find the chest.
      But the secret is to think, and analyze … they can find the chest. ff

Comment

Swiss Army knife and cell phone charger. Boots, backpack, bear spray and whiskey.

Comment

Don't do anything you wouldn't let a child do and don't go anywhere you wouldn't let a child go.

Comment

Wear bright colors. Whistle, for sure. Strike-a-light/lighter, water, more water.

Comment

Don't go beyond your capabilities.

Comment

Extra pair of socks and steel toe hiking boots.

Comment

Mark your vehicles location on Google maps or whatever map application you are using on your cell phone, before you leave your vehicle. It gives you peace of mind knowing that you are able to find your vehicle. A fully charged portable battery recharger is also essential.
                  All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
                  --Arthur Schopenhauer--

Comment

Two items I've owned for the past two years and love:

GRAYL Travel Water Purifier - allows you to "make" safe drinking water from any decent water source. Quick, easy, lightweight, and eliminates the need to carry a lot of water. It's amazing how fast you will go through your water when hiking in high altitudes.
                    https://www.thegrayl.com/

ACR ResQlink Personal Locator Beacon - No service fee. You simply register it and renew the registration each year (they actually send you a letter/sticker). Ability to test before each trip.
                    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                    Last edited by Diggio; 02-24-2018, 02:12 AM.
                    "I have energy, I have imagination, and I got guts." - Forrest Fenn

Comment

And don’t forget the mosquito repellant... 130+ bites by those little devil’s on a single hike are not all that enjoyable.

Comment

To hell with mosquitos. It's those snakes I can't stand. Is there a repellent for snakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
                          To hell with mosquitos. It's those snakes I can't stand. Is there a repellent for snakes?
                          they only bite if you touch their private parts

Comment

always keep an eye on the weather. In the mountains it can go from clear, blue skies to brutal, rain storms or snow in minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post
                              Copper, a spray can of engine starter and a lighter will do it.

Rattlers get the adrenaline pumping real fast; that unmistakable noise is unnerving. What is even worse is when one of those slithery demons has had its rattles soaking in a creek and those rattles are not make much noise... and then you see it all coiled up when you are about 4 feet from it. Once composure is regained, you have to find another fishing hole because all the splashing in the creek has spooked the fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X